Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Angry Birds Did Not Improve My Productivity

Back in the day when I had both free time and friends, I played tons of First Person Shooter video games at LAN parties. I stopped playing video games to make more time for studying and haven't played them seriously for at least 7 years, that is, until Angry Birds was released for PC. Instead of programming I played over 100 levels of bird flinging, pig killing awesomeness, practically drooling on myself. I noticed that I had neglected my wife all night and realized that I have a weakness toward simple video games. When a person is extremely busy they have to look for small and quick distractions to keep them sane. Little games are great for this and so are web comics or blogs, used in moderation. If given too much attention they can overcome your willpower to work on important things. I deleted Angry Birds from my PC because I knew it would be an ongoing problem for me. Everyone has to know their own limits and take appropriate action to avoid negative consequences of video games and other distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment