Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Your Private Moon Tour

Man hasn't returned to the moon since the Apollo 17 mission in 1972. That isn't about to change, but the first private vehicle could be going in 2013. This private exploration--if successful--will demonstrate that any resources available on the moon can be available to corporations with enough money. A whole new economy will emerge for moon goods or perhaps services like moon tours. Imagine that! Renting a lunar rover to go check out that crater you saw in a telescope. These ideas are all somewhere in the future, but doors are beginning to open now which will make it real tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I'd imagine the cost for such a trip is quite pricey, but the adventure would be quite "far out".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd buy a ticket, although it wouldn't be for myself. I know some people I would like to send to the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does it make anyone else sad that what used to be a program driving national pride has become yet another cash cow? On the other hand, it would be pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd go. But seriously, this is pretty unlikely to happen. It's just too costly to get things out of our gravity well. I still think they should do some kind of maglev launcher up the side of a mountain somewhere.

    ReplyDelete